Thursday 31 May 2012

Gilbertson Guest House Quilts

There was a time in my past that I made a small business sewing kids clothes and bridesmaid dresses and doing alterations, but that time has come and gone. The time and financial pressure became unapealing by taking away the enjoyment that I got out of sewing. Now a days, I do not typically take on commissioned projects, but how could I resist my mom's request.

Recently my parents opened a B&B, Gilbertson Guest House, and asked me to make a quilt for each of the beds. Over the course of a year I sewed 4 quilts and free motion quilted each. My mom & I went to the local quilt store several times and picked out fabrics that would suit each room. It was an opportunity for me to try out new patterns and colour combinations. The Bargello quilt was the most challenging at first, but the most satisfying in the end.

Turning 20 & Power of 3
I wanted the busy pattern of power of 3 to be offset with the simplicity of turning 20.

Bargello
Loved how the colours flowed on this one.

Nana's Quilt
I made this one a duvet cover. The fabric is very French Provincial and brightens the room.

1 comment: