Monday 1 April 2013

Maple Syrup

Maple Scones
The Quebecois are passionate about maple syrup. I saw a public service announcement that suggests that maple syrup can be used as a substitute  for any sugar in a recipe. Maple syrup may be the only grocery item that is cheaper in Montreal than in Saskatoon. Anyway, in an attempt to embrace Quebec life, I bought a cookbook (en français) that uses maple syrup in every recipe. I have not been disappointed with any recipe yet. Maple scones, maple walnut pie, ribs marinated in syrup, maple glazed veggies, pork tourtiere. Très délicieux. I am going to attempt making all of the recipes before I leave Quebec. You can be sure that I will be cooking my favorites for friends and family back home.


Maple Tea Latte
Maple syrup use in Quebec reminds me of Bubba talking about shrimp in the movie Forrest Gump. "Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it." I think you can make an equally impressive list of maple syrup products: maple syrup and beans, maple syrup and eggs, maple syrup on snow, maple cheddar cheese, maple syrup candies, maple cookies...Last Thursday Daryl & I walked down to Vieux Port and stopped at a cafe. Of course they had, and I had to order, the maple latte tea. It was the perfect way to end a tough day at work in Quebec.

Cabane a sucre cupcake






We walked past a store the other day called Petits Gâteaux. They created a cupcake called cabane à sucre. If you don't know what a cabane à sucre is, I will fill you in next week. We are going to one with some friends here. It's a Quebec tradition during maple tree tapping season.

 I am only starting to tap into my inner maple syrup love.



2 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering!!!!!! We will be expecting at least one maple syrup recipe a day when we come for a visit. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Valancie,
    I hope you have a terrific time this weekend! You'll love the experience - Myriam told me where you are going!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete