Friday 29 November 2013

Mr. Owl

Snowy owl. Burrowing owl. Great horned owl. Barn owl. Screech owl. 

"Mr. Owl, how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll pop?" Who remembers this commercial during Saturday morning cartoons? A couple months ago I quoted it to D and he had no recollection of it. He said that it must have only been on the American channels when we were growing up. Regardless, I had a fond memory of it and started to wonder how our society pegged the owl as wise.


A quick google search revealed that historically, the owl is either revered or feared. Owls in Lore and Culture is a good read. Focusing on the positives, the owl has been linked to the Greek goddess Athene, known for her wisdom. The owl's nocturnal nature is associated with the vigilance of a studious scholar. The Sioux First Nations admired the snowy owl, which represented bravery. 

Yesterday I finished Hibou's quilt. The Hooty Hoot Returns fabric is from Riley Blake Designs. The orange "jacks" fabric makes me smile. When I found it at the only quilting store in Montreal, Effiloche, I knew immediately that it would tie the whole quilt together. When I finished the back of the quilt, I realized that it reminded me of the sky and the earth. I hope that Hibou enjoys being out in nature as much as we do.

I am looking forward to meeting our petit hibou. Will Hibou be known for vigilance, bravery, and wisdom? Only time will tell.

Hibou quilt 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment